Monday, April 14, 2008

engagement on the horizon...

....yes but not quite mine!

A good friend of mine - and long time friend is soon to get married. Of course I can't mention his name just yet as someone may stumble upon this blog and tell the girl (sorry for being paranoid but stranger things have happened!).

I can still remember when I met this guy, I am 1 1/2 older than him, which made him very shy but he was always awesome.
I met him one random summer while I was doing a writing workshop.
We were less than 10 students in the class. He was the best one there being creative and talented.

He only told me he liked me the last day of class. Thinking back, it was so funny and awkward. But it was an innocent kind of attraction that's just cute.
I'm pretty sure we didn't have the concept of "lust" and it was just a kiddie crush.
I hardly noticed him. I was not into younger guys back then - I've always had crushes on older guys!
Besides, I think I was 15 turning 16 and he had just turned 14!
Kiddos talaga!
He gave me a card for no apparent reason and a letter on the last day of class (or was it the other way round?).
I still have it locked away somewhere among the mess in my drawer at home.
I use to cringe from embarrassement whenever I read it (and I read it several times to help me get over the embarrassment, but that didn't help) - what I wouldn't give to read it now, just for the fun of it. I'd probably still cringe, but laugh at the same time.

He told me he liked me and just like all typical men, vanished without a trace.
He resurfaced a year later to tell me he had stayed in Manila and had a girlfriend and whatever and if we could be friends.
Since I really didn't care, I was happy that we were friends.
And we stayed friends for the longest time. More than 10 years I think.

We use to call each other up with regularity and update one another with our current events. I had met his 2nd girlfriend, and was there when they broke up.
I don't think I've ever met his current girlfriend (and soon to be wife!), but he had told me all about her, since the first time they've met, his crush and his courting period.

I think it was somewhere in between number 2 and 3 that we were talking about back-ups. Now, you have to understand, "My best friends wedding" was still the rage back then (even though it was 2 or 3 years after the movie had been released) and I guess somethings just stick. If memory serves me right, we had made a pack: if and when I turn 28, and we were both single and unmarried, we would just marry each other.

That wasn't the most romantic way of starting a happily ever after, but I had learned in the Philippines, they won't let you get away with being single for too long.
I had learned early on that marriage just had to be done. He was a good enough friend, why not? Well, because it wasn't love and it wasn't the happy ending we both had wanted.

I've been updated on their progress and was happy to hear at the end of last year and the start of this year, he was already thinking of proposing! We were brainstorming different ideas-however, he hasn't finalised his plan yet. He's going to do it this year. The proposal and he will get married, next year.
I'm so excited! Here's comes a reason for me to go home!

ps: kari, I can't go home this year, its too damn expensive. Sorry sweetie, I can try and meet you half way.

No comments: