Saturday, June 25, 2011

Turn my head

Ever since I was a kid, I was a dork. Chubby, pimply, at a certain point, with braces. Yeah, uber sexy right? I was never the pretty one or the smart one or the hot one. I was just one. Well, when kuya was around he counted me as two... The first sentence Baby Jill learnt to say was, "I have big fat legs...like Tita Grace". So, apart from the fat on my body, my other great source of insecurity are my legs.
Kuya lovely calls them, Tree Trunks, Thunder Thighs, you get the picture right?
Anyway, Jo's parents recently came to Rome and asked me if I wanted anything. I asked Jo for Short Skorts (AKA Pekpek Skorts skirt+shorts). I had seen her wear it when I was last home and was looking everywhere for one to own. They had brought me a nice black one that didn't really fit when I first tried it on. Since Madrid though, I lost just a bit of weight, so I tried that on with a white shirt for the office. Then the comments started. It *may* have been slightly shorter than what is deemed appropriate for the office, but I figured that I'm small anyway, and it's not like I'm long legged and would cause a commotion. But apprently I did. I tried to keep myself as discreet as possible and not leave the office and was hiding (my legs) under the table.
I had lunch with Pyro. We walked to L'Angolo for lunch. He started laughing. He's like, "What are you wearing?!" I was stressed for guests arriving and the pick up that I had arranged which was falling through. I was stressed because I didn't want people to see me to avoid more comments. He asked me that, "You're really hyper, whats wrong with you?"
So I went through the whole thing. Ralphs friends coming over. Dondon who wasn't answering the phone. Me leaving to go to Brussels on Friday night - how nothing was working. Stress at the office. Meeting with SCB. It was quite a disasterous Friday. He told me about his updates with work and life in general. We left L'Angolo to go to the corner bar for coffee and he insisted that I walk out of the restaurant in front of him. From the corner of my eye, I could see that I was getting some heads to turn. I hate being the center of attention, but I do like the occasional glances. This was a bit more than I bargained for though.
Pyro comes up from behind me and starts laughing harder, "God, you're making everyone's head turn. Did you see how many guys were breaking their necks to look at you?" No. I didn't look. I didn't want to.
The walk to the corner bar was funny because he was noticing that every guy walking by was looking. He had to remark, "I hope I don't have to get into a fight with anyone".
So, yay to me! Even though most days I feel fat and ugly, this one Friday lunch time, I was the hottest thing around with a nice pair of legs.
Hey, Vanity for Vanity. I won't always be 29 and attractive. I might as well remember the good moments when they happen since they are so rare.

No comments: