Here's what I don't get about being catholic and filipino. There is no fine line between justice and sacrifice.
This is the deal, although, its not going to make much sense either.
As my dad got up to participate in the offertory during mass, (he brought the bread), two ladies rushed to his seat. Shoving me, my mom and my mom's friend to the side.
Conflicting thoughts rushed to my head.
Should I forgive these obviously rude women? They took my dads place.
Should I inform them that perhaps its better if they arrive to church early, and the spot is taken by my dad?
Should I be understanding, these are women who worked and needed a seat.
But why should I excuse what they do because I know better. There is a difference between being petty and being justified. Yes, I am being petty. But this small example can be amplified and used for bigger and more important things: such as Philippine politics. If we don't stand up for ourselves when we know we are being wronged, then things will still be bad. I'm not talking about calling for a rally down EDSA, but asserting ourselves using the system to work. I guess because we've lost faith in the system. But if we don't try to make it work, if we don't try to make ourselves heard, if we DON'T TRY, then we too are at fault.
So what happened? I let the off. I forgave them, held their hands for Ama namin. Greeted them PEACE when the time came. Why do I go to mass at all when, right there, I lose my faith.
No comments:
Post a Comment